IGUANA.bannerBflat

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Manic December

AAACKK! I'm working on 4 books at once!

I'm doing some penciling on American Virgin, almost the last issue. I know a lot of comic creators verbally curse collaborations and do their best work alone, but I seriously enjoy teaming up with other writers and artists. I seek out different collaborations. It makes life interesting and exciting, which i think is the point. Inking and penciling with other quality artists and writers helps me improve my own work by leaps and bounds. I've had fun drawing with Becky Cloonan and Jim Rugg.

As of today, I'm taking over as Inker on the Vertigo series, The Vinyl Underground. I take over from Cameron Stewart so I guess I have to fill some big shoes. I'll add my own stuff while keeping the high quality. I'm shocked at how perfect Simon Gane's Pencils are.

I'm over half way done with Local #11, the Toronto issue. I think this is the most tongue in cheek episode Brian and I have created and , for me, it's the most definitive statement of what the series has been all about. You'll be freaked out how good it is.

I'm handing in my final pages for next year's Minx Graphic Novel, The New York Four this week. Only now, this week, it's smacking me in the face as to how much work I've put into this monster. I initially meant to only spend 20 minutes doing tones per page and I actually spend about 40 minutes per page.

Click and zoom in on this detail of a New York Four panel. I just love the way little lines and dots coalesce to make a grand picture, don't you?

Look, I even color in the iris of the eyes. Don't you appreciate artists just a little bit more today?

NY4 zoom

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Kirk Gauthier said...

I had no idea Simon Gane was pencilling The Vinyl Underground! I really liked his artwork in Paris; really clean stuff there. Which issue will be your "first appearance"?

And is there any word on when The New York Four is supposed to come out?

6:42 AM  
Blogger Ryan Kelly said...

The New York Four will be out in the summer '08 somwhere around June-july.
My first inking on VU will be issue #7, check it out Kirk.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Amaya said...

I really don't think this is all that healthy for you. You looked very tired when I saw you last, Ursula says hi and hopes you're doing well.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home